The 9th Annual Big Apple BBQ Block Party


Any vegetarians out there may want to skip this post- the Big Apple BBQ Block Party was this past weekend and you know what that means- meat, and lots of it! The rain held off on Sunday and I braved the heat and humidity to Madison Square Park, where the smoke billowed into the streets and bbq sauce spattered the pavement. Eighteen pit masters from around the east coast had pulled up their smokers to the edge of the Park and loaded them full of whole hogs, baby back ribs, brisket, sausage and more. I can't even begin to describe all of the barbecue I consumed that day, hopefully the photos below will do it all justice. And when I finally thought I'd had enough (a hundred pulled pork sandwiches later), Blue Smoke Bakeshop finished off my afternoon with a sweet blondie, dollop of vanilla ice cream, and a classic root beer float. Perfection!