Cinque Terre Days 3 & 4: Riomaggiore & Vernazza

Day 3 was 'laid back' compared to my epic hike through the villages the day before. I took a 'leisurely' 3km/1.8mi stroll over to Riomaggiore, soaking up the sun on the top of the ridge. No words can describe the beauty of that view- being alone on top of the world with just me and the wind rustling through the grape vines, the faint whiff of salty sea below, an ombre of blues, sky melting to sea... I could have sat up there all day. Riomaggiore was just as beautiful and colorful as the other 5 terres, I can't get enough of those ancient streets and vibrant buildings.

Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison01

Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison02
Lots of chill beach vibes in Riomaggiore
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison03
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison04Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison05
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison06
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison07Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison08
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison09
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison10Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison11
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison12
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison14Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison15
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison16
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison17
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison18
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison19
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison20
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison21Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison22
Riomaggiore_VirginiaRollison23

It just so happened that one of my friends was backpacking across Europe this spring and we got to meet up for my last day in Cinque Terre! After an exhausting trip we both decided to take it easy and have a much needed "beach day" in Vernazza. In late May it was still relatively cool, but after sunning ourselves on the rocks, the cool ocean water felt wonderfully refreshing! We packed ourselves a picnic of pastries from the bakery and a bottle of wine for good measure. Definitely the best way to end the trip. I didn't bring my camera along for this one so you'll have to make due with these iPhone shots instead ;) Follow along with me on Instagram for all the latest travel photos: @ginnymae

CinqueTerre_VirginiaRollison01CinqueTerre_VirginiaRollison02CinqueTerre_VirginiaRollison04
CinqueTerre_VirginiaRollison05CinqueTerre_VirginiaRollison03CinqueTerre_VirginiaRollison06
Clockwise, L to R: Caprese Salads and Pesto Genovese are my favorite meals (that and plenty of fritto misto & gelato!); old man and the sea; Negroni o'clock! aka apertivo time; this blurry photo sums up our day perfectly; had the beach almost to ourselves at Vernazza

Trip Round Up
Stay: I booked a room at the Manarola Vista Mare for the entire trip and it was perfect. Great central location with a room that opened to the stunning view of the harbor! A 'no frills' room, but clean, private and super affordable. They can be booked via their website or on Airbnb

Eat:
Ristorante Marina Piccola in Manarola- good food, near my hotel
Aristide in Manarola- nice vibe and good food
Trattoria dal Billy in Manarola- ok, I didn't actually make it here because it was closed, but it looks great and has high ratings. Let me know how it is!
Il Pirata delle 5 Terre in Vernazza- so many delicious pastries to choose from. Perfect for coffee/breakfast
Gianni Franzi in Vernazza- so nice I came here twice! Good apertivo and friendly service with patio seating on the water in Vernazza's harbor piazza
Baia Saracena in Vernazza- delicious pizza and waterfront seating

See:
Everything! I recommend simply walking around each village. They're all pretty small and you can cover a couple of them easily in a day- especially if you take the train. It's only a few minutes' ride from one to the other. But of course I did the hiking as well and the pain is definitely worth it. My thighs burned like never before, but nothing beats those views! :) Map below, I took the 6 & 7 trails since the Via dell'Amore was closed due to landslides.

CinqueTerreMap