Summer Oysters


When the summer heat is just about unbearable and I can't even imagine turning on the stove for dinner, it's time to head over to one of the City's many oyster bars for a light snack. I love oysters. Growing up I'd had them cooked in various forms, my favorite being the Oysters Rockefeller served up as an appetizer at every Rollison family holiday. But lately I've turned to the raw bar for an even stronger gulp of edible nostalgia. The salty, briny Nova Scotia and northeast oysters bring back all the summer weekends on the Maine coast- the rocky cliffs, sandy shores and icy Atlantic. Sitting at the bar with a tray of glistening mollusks is a day at the New England shore, and never fails to leave me cool and refreshed on a sweltering summer day.

Two places I had the opportunity to shoot are Ed's Chowder House and Mermaid Inn. I love the lemon-accented walls at Ed's. And of course the seafood specials turned out by Chef John Miele (pictured below) are top notch. A little 'out of my price range' for a frequent stop, so I'll save them for a special meal when family comes to the City.



Mermaid Inn has multiple locations in the City (this is the Upper West Side spot) and is more casual then Ed's. They have great oyster specials and I've been by a couple of times to indulge on a hot summer night. Also love the black and white interior, gallery wall and tribute to the Kennedy's over the bar.